CASE STUDY – Angel Oak, London Borough of Southwark
We worked closely with the other members of the project team to develop designs for the improvement of the existing school and provision of 124 residential units.
Our input helped to inform the parking provision and layout, servicing strategy, provision of a new school entry feature to improve pupil safety and the reopening of Longhope Close as a through route from Chandler Way to Burcher Grove.
Throughout the scheme development we advised on access by all modes, parking provision and servicing strategy, with reference to appropriate policy and design standards; using our professional and negotiation skills to ensure the correct balance for the success of the development and benefit to the local community.
We prepared the Transport Assessment and Travel Plan to accompany the planning application, helping to promote sustainable travel for the school and future residents.
• Pedestrian Access – During scoping discussions LB Southwark Highways Officers requested footways on each side of Longhope Close but this would be to the detriment of amenity space in the school. We worked with the design team and assessed the impact of a new footway, proposing design changes and citing standards to demonstrate the suitability of the provision without compromising amenity space for the school.
• Vehicular Access – There was concern about reopening Longhope Close to provide a connection via the site. We worked with the design team to develop the road layout and servicing strategy, providing design input and vehicle tracking. We negotiated with LB Southwark Highways team to provide justification that the road link and new junction were appropriate and safe.
• Refuse and Servicing Strategy – We liaised with LB Southwark officers to agree the strategy for both the school and residential uses, giving full consideration to the different requirements and interaction between them.
Latest posts by Project Centre
- Lucy Marstrand and Ben Stutman to talk at the Transport Practitioners Meeting 2020 - August 27, 2020
- Project Centre approved supplier on design framework - August 26, 2020
- Manchester Office on the move - August 21, 2020